Love is Sweet: Vegan Valentine’s Dog Treats
Valentine's is right around the corner and we all know what that means: lots of love and treats for our besties! While we're stuffing our faces with chocolate hearts and marshmallow dreams, let's not forget about our four-legged loves. These recipes are easy, healthy, and vegan-approved, so go get your bake on!
With healthy carrot shreds and coconut oil, these delectable cakes love your dog right back.
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (+ 2 Tbsp)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and shredded into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Line a muffin pan with liners
- In a large bowl, sift together the flours, baking soda, and baking powder
- Fold in in the rest of the ingredients slowly with a spatula
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the tops are golden browned
Don't forget - frequent taste tests are important and your dog is your best bet for a clean bowl.
Cool Canine Cookies
This recipe is super simple, so you can whip up a batch any time you want to share the love. You can zip these up with a dash of mint extract for some breath freshening delights or throw in some dried apple pieces for a fruity explosion.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 ripe/overripe bananas
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- Preheat your oven to 325 F
- Mash bananas until smooth, then mix together with the peanut butter until well blended
- Add your flour, half at a time, until evenly combined
- Use your hands as needed to form a solid ball of dough
- Chill the dough for 20 minutes
- Remove the dough from the fridge and place on a floured counter
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick
- Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter (bone shapes are highly recommended) and place on baking sheet
- Use a fork to poke 3 holes in the center of each (this allows steam to escape)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes